6/27/2009

Stories from the Week

This past week we had high school campers. I was purely a counselor, and Nick was Program. It was pretty nice to just be responsible for my 7 campers, and not the rest of the group. 


We went on our hike up Alberta and Treasure Peak, both around 12,000 feet. Funny story - when we got to the bottom of the peak we were minus five campers. I guess they took a wrong turn on the ridge (there was no trail, we were kind of bushwhacking) and weren't at the road when the end of the group arrived there. I am thankful for the staff we had on the hike that day, because we went straight into protocol and found them within the hour... they popped out on the highway where one of our staff was patrolling. Still pretty stressful stuff.

I also had a camper (not in my cabin) who confided in me that she was dealing with intense depression after the death of a good friend. I am thankful that she was able to open up to me, and also humbled that she trusted me for guidance and support. I talked to our speaker for the week and he gave me some good ideas and resources for her situation. I pray that she is able to seek the help she needs and reach out to others when she gets home.

Next week should be interesting - I'm not only Boss of Fun but also a counselor. We have two different camp programs going on, junior camp and X2. X2 is a high school leadership course and junior camp is 3rd and 4th grade. I'll be handling Junior while Nick handles X2. 

Love you all!

-Heather

(Hopefully I'll be able to update about once a week) 

1 comments :

  1. Teresa said...

    And that is why God put you there at Sonlight. You have a God given talent of listening to others and reaching out to them.

    I am glad the kids were found. I am sure it was a very scary situation.

    Good luck next week and have lots of fun "boss of fun" :)

    Love you and miss you.

    Mom